Monday, May 21, 2012

The weight of the nation

The Weight of the Nation is a documentary series on HBO right now. I DVRd it and have been watching. I've watched the first 3 episodes so far. It's incredibly interesting and fortunately gives an unfortunate look into obesity in America today. One particular part that I found particularly helpful for me was they talked about the metabolisms of obese and overweight people and how that if you lose weight down to your goal or down to a healthy weight, you would never be able to eat like a normal - always been at a healthy weight - person. The example they gave estimated that the person who had been obese but is now the same weight/height as the normal weight person would always have to eat about 20% less than the normal person to not gain the weight back. Or do so much more exercise etc. a normal person might be on a 2000 calorie diet whereas I might always be on a 1400-1600 calorie diet after I reached a healthy weight. They said as far as they know this permanent problem with the metabolism after weight loss cannot be reversed.
The hardest part of getting to a healthy weight isn't losing the weight. It's maintaining it.
After I get this extra 130 or so pounds off of me, I will have to struggle my whole life to keep it off. This might seem crappy and make some people lose hope but not me. I don't know that after losing that much weight, that I could ever allow myself to gain any of it again. The documentary showed 2 ladies who both lost over 100lbs each and have kept it off for over a year. One of them was allowed 1450 calories/day and the other 1600. It showed them on one of their NINE mile walks... I am not sure I will ever have the TIME in my schedule as a mom with a family to walk NINE miles but I could do an hour a day and hopefully that would be enough. I will figure it out when I get there.
The UAMS program I am on does prepare you for this, though. That's what the classes and dieticians are for. At least I know I am not doing this alone and I have support whenever I need it!
Also, if you have HBO, please watch this series. It's eye-opening!!!

5 comments:

  1. I don't have HBO, but I wonder if I could find it on Netflix. That's crazy about the metabolism, you would think your body would correct itself or something. If you are able to walk on an incline, that burns so many more calories than walking flat. I've been walking on the treadmill on an incline at the gym and I've been starting to break into a sweat doing that pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you could watch it online too. Check hbo website or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My weigh in today says I have gaved 3 kilos. That's 3 x 2.2 for a total of 6.6 pounds since march. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ate crackers!!!! Somebody stop me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, do you even need to lose weight?? Have you tried Special K cracker chips?? They are awesome, you get a lot for not very many cals and satisfies the cracker craving!

    ReplyDelete